Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Letters and more letters . . . oh, and there's another letter

Still not that far. I suppose it may be the demands on my time or a subtle resistance to letters. That's weird though, as I quite enjoyed Dracula by Bram Stoker. That volume is written all in letters as well. So, what is it about this text that is causing me such consternation? Maybe it's not the letters, but the subject matter, though I must confess that I'm not really far enough into Guernsey to know what the subject matter is . . .

Further, I don't write letters . . . ok, I do write email, but does anyone really think that they're the same thing? In the traditional sense, I don't write letters. I despised the necessity of writing the parents on my mission and since then, I can count the number of letters I've written, in the traditional sense, on one hand (and since I haven't written many letters, counting on the hand won't hurt it much).

I think letters are a girl thing. Girls like the sentimentality of a letter, or maybe the smell of the ink, or the fact that the guy that likes her spent the time to put words to paper claiming undying love. For girls, if it's not put to paper, it has less meaning somehow. Am I off base here? Or spot on? So, the curious thing would be to see who has read and enjoyed this book more . . . men or women. I would bet my net worth that the huge majority are women. It's because of the letter mystique. Just don't ask me to write it in one.

BTW - The wife mentioned that the author is dead. But there are two authors . . . What's up with that?

2 comments:

  1. I am quite fond of the epistolary form (I even picked The Screwtape Letters as my book a couple years ago). I think it's a neat device--but then again, I AM a girl, right?

    The author died and her niece finished it and got it published, I think. So that's why there are two authors listed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, writing letters does score you more points especially when claiming undying love. Maybe reading this book will encourage you to write more... for my sake anyway.

    ReplyDelete